Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The exchange.

Hello and welcome!

Those of you who are reading this probably know about my change in circumstance.  A total bummer, yes.  However, I'm looking to make the best of it!  The way I see that being realized is by fully embracing the things I love (and the people I love)!  Some of those loved things are: crafting, creating, making, doing.....

It's been a goal of mine (for a LONG time) to get an Etsy shop up and running.  Little by little, I'm making strides toward that goal.  One of the first things I wanted to accomplish was creating a logo which would represent my work.  Of course, due to my limited experience with computer graphic design, I decided to turn to a professional.  I met Karli Kujawa Smith through friends and at a few of the Indieana Handicraft Exchanges at the Harrison Center.  I knew her aesthetic from the identities she has created for businesses such as The Hot Cookie and Homespun.  Gorgeous stuff, huh?

I approached Karli about doing an exchange: a bag for a logo.  I was thrilled when she agreed!  We sat down to discuss each of our desires for the final result.  I wanted a simple, straightforward design that would work on the web or in print.  She said she liked menswear fabrics and the pleating that I often use in my work. 

With both of our "wish lists" discussed, it was time for me to get to work.  I found a beautiful brown-grey herringbone suiting fabric to start with.  For the lining, I went with a rich eggplant which was a color Karli mentioned liking. 



See how the lining peeks out?  I love that!  When wearing the bag, you catch glimpses of it as it moves with you.  For the closure, I used a tab-and-button combo that is a favorite of mine.  The buttons are a laminated wood that I found at an antique store.  Lots of character.







If this bag thing doesn't work out, maybe I'll look into hand modeling.
At Karli's request, I added a couple pockets to the lining.  As I don't usually add pockets to most of my bags, this was a good experience for me.  Trial and error, then, success!  I'm pretty pleased with the results. 



The big reveal:
Ta-daaa!
I'm so pleased with the finished product.  I think it manages to be a great combination of tailored and relaxed.  It's structured yet slouchy.  The length of the wide strap allows the bag to hang just below the shoulder: a perfect length for a Chicago gal on the go. 

Working with Karli helped truly helped me explore the design process.  In the past, I've worked with my own ideas from start to finish.  Working for a client helped me expand on my process and the techniques I use.  I truly hope she enjoys using it as much as I enjoyed making it!

And now for the REALLY big reveal:



My logo!  I love it.  Those who were around me when I opened the email know how delighted I was when I saw the finished product.  It's simple and understated.  It manages to be both feminine and structured.....which is what I hope people think of when they see my designs.  I am so looking forward to putting the logo to use.  Thanks Karli!

Thanks everyone for reading.  I really appreciate your love and support. 

I hope you'll stay tuned.....because there's so much more to come!

7 comments:

  1. Hey Lindsey! I love your logo! I love your fantastic work--I hope to carry a bag crafted by you someday... I think it is great that you are channeling your energy into what you are meant to do... design, fabricate and sell wonderful and stylish items! Good luck on everything--I support you. If you need anything from me, I am here!! P.S. I am following you!!! Good things are ahead for you, I know it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are awesome! Way to make some lemonade out of everything.

    Also, who's the super hot purse model at the top of the post? I bet she's really smart too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fantastic!! Super duper love your new logo, and YOU (of course). I also am in the market for a new purse. Since I have no skills of any value, however, you'll just have to settle for cash. ;-)

    See you soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats on several levels... glad to see you got your blog up and running. If you want any help with Blogger, let me know. I use it for my work blog at www.johnjdavidson.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the logo and the bag! Good luck in the journey ahead!

    ReplyDelete