Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Reinvention.

I was recently approached by a friend who wanted me to make a simple clutch for a cousin out of some of her aunt's clothes.  But they weren't just any old clothes.  They were custom made clothes from silk obtained on some of her aunt's world travels.  The fabric is absolutely gorgeous......delicate material with really rich, saturated colors.

Here's the before:

I felt extremely guilty cutting into these items.  They were beautifully crafted by someone who REALLY knew what they were doing.  The jacket was precisely machine stitched as well as intricately hand stitched.  Something to marvel at, truly.  After working through my hesitation, I began to dismantle the jacket and skirt at the seams.


Next, I began sewing the exterior pleating and the tabs:

After simply pairing the lining with the exterior, sewing, and turning right side out......the finished product:

I added vintage simulated pearl and gold buttons for a subtle closure. I often pair simple exterior colors with unexpected patterns and colors for linings.....so this clutch was no exception!


Thanks to Carol Ann for trusting me with a project so near and dear to your heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment